旧帖 2015-12-11 19:20:49
Post #105
Re: “北面”创始人玩皮划艇意外身亡 一生热爱户 ...

mullie 离线 mullie 在华氏40度水温泡浸超过一小时,涌浪超过5呎(军方称9.9呎)。 再加上风冷效应导致严重暴寒,主要死因。

旧帖 2015-12-12 04:36:14
Post #106

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04

At least he died doing what he loved. That was paramount among a variety of similar sentiments appended to clips and links yesterday as news circulated that Doug Tompkins, founder of The North Face and Esprit and the new century’s most ambitious conservationist, succumbed to severe hypothermia on Dec. 8, following a kayak accident on Lago General Carrera, on the Chilean-Argentine border. He was 72.
At the time of the accident, Tompkins was traveling with a group that included a few of his best friends: Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia; Rick Ridgeway, a member of the first American team to summit K2, the world’s second-tallest peak; and Lorenzo Alvarez, owner of the adventure travel outfitter, Bio Bio Expeditions. Tompkins and Chouinard first explored the region together 50 years ago. A documentary of their 1968 first ascent of Fitz Roy, Patagonia’s signature mountain, can be seen today as the secret origin myth—or, perhaps, the Zapruder film—of the $289 billion outdoor retailing industry.

Chouinard (left) and Tompkins after a first ascent in Chilean Patagonia, near Valle Chacabuco, on March 6, 2008. After reaching the summit, Tompkins named the peak Cerro Kristine, after his wife.

Photographer: Jeff Johnson

The “Do Boys,” as they sometimes called themselves, reunited regularly for fresh adventures. On this one, which Tompkins had mentioned last fall in an interview to Outside magazine, a sudden storm turned their 30-kilometer paddle into a fight for survival.
Wind drove waves twice a kayaker's height, capsizing their kayaks, and forcing the paddlers to swim in 4 degree Celsius (40 degrees Fahrenheit) water. A military patrol boat plucked three of the kayakers out. Despite the high winds, a private helicopter pilot managed to complete a rescue of two more boaters and to medevac Tompkins, whose body temperature reportedly dropped to 19 C (66 F). He was flown to a hospital in Coyhaique, about 1,000 miles south of Santiago. Doctors there were unable to revive him.
“Doug was the complete man—original thinker, world-class climber and kayaker, pilot, hugely successful businessman, designer, ecological visionary, and ornery S.O.B.,” his friend Tom Brokaw said. The former NBC News anchor recalls that Tompkins pursued his hobbies and ideas with equal ardor. “We kayaked through the Russian Far East together and climbed a glacier route on Mt Rainier—and through it all, he never stopped lecturing me on deep ecology.”
“I was in awe of him,” Brokaw added.
In Chile, as in Argentina, Tompkins inspired suspicion, resentment, and at last, admiration. In 1991, he began buying up large tracts of land in a Chilean rainforest with the fortune he amassed at Esprit, the iconic 1980s women’s wear brand he built with his first wife, Susie Tompkins Buell. Done, he later said, “making clothes and countless things no one needs,” he left the company mid-career and used his retail profits to purchase a farm, along with 756,000 acres, with the stated goal of creating his own nature reserve. He dubbed it Park Pumalin, after the region’s most charismatic megafauna.
Few Chileans believed a word of it. By the end of the '90s, Chile’s then-president accused Tompkins and his second wife, Kristine (Kris), who had joined him there, of evicting tenant ranchers and denying them work. From there the accusations got only more fanciful: They were stealth Zionists come to form a new state. They were working with the CIA. Their real plan was to steal Chile’s water and ship it to Africa. Any of these struck many Chileans as more probable than someone buying up land to take it out of production, return it to a natural state, and give it to the government for free.

Kris and Doug Tompkins on the grounds of the Butler House in Patagonia Park.

Photographer: Pablo Cabado for Bloomberg Businessweek

Today, Pumalin Park is well-visited by Chileans, not merely by foreign tourists and journalists fascinated by Tompkin’s expat adventure—although there have been plenty of those, too, including author William Langewiesche, who cast Tompkins as a Fitzcarraldo obsessive in an unflattering profile for the Atlantic.
Official Chile eventually came around, with the military contributing substantial tracts (and even forfeiting its requested artillery range) to endow Corcovado National Park, noted for its lakes and two volcanoes. In 2014, Chilean President Sebastián Piñera designated Yendegaia National Park, in Tierra del Fuego, a joint venture among Chilean conservationists, the government, and a Tompkins foundation. In all, the Tompkins have conserved nearly 2.2 million acres across the Patagonia region and won national park status for three parks that didn’t exist before they got involved.
“National Parks are the gold standard for conservation,” Tompkins said. “So our plan is to create the park, get them ready, and then turn them over ready to operate.”
Parks, however, reflect neither the full range of Tompkins interests nor his success as a retailer, book publisher, activist, and architect. Like David Brower, longtime head of the Sierra Club, Tompkins became expert at hiring photographers and creating gorgeous coffee table books about the places he loved. He designed the lodging, dining areas, and grounds in each of his park headquarters. He evaluated techniques for restoring overgrazed fields. He led successful campaigns to defeat hydroelectric dams proposed for Patagonian rivers thousands of miles from the cities needing electricity.
Establishing parks also doesn’t immediately suggest his commitment to Norwegian philosopher Arne Naess and his concept, first articulated in 1973, of "deep ecology." Naess holds that humans are only part of the web of life and not of singular importance; people have no right to diminish biological diversity.
Tompkins could be charming but also infuriating. Asked, for example, to appreciate why others might place unrelated political issues ahead of protecting the environment, Tompkins was unequivocal. “I’m a social justice supporter, but there is no social justice on a dead planet,” he said. “If you want to destroy the planet, you can kiss social justice goodbye. The earth comes first.”
Born in 1943, in Ohio, Douglas Rainsford Tompkins grew up in Millbrook, N.Y., and began climbing in the Shawangunk Mountains in junior high school. He dropped out of prep school (Connecticut’s Pomfret School) and never went to college. He met his first wife while hitchhiking; even after they started a family and went into business together, they kept traveling, tossing their kids in the back of two-seat prop plane and flying off into the back country.
With a $5,000 loan, he and a friend founded The North Face in 1966, selling sleeping bags, camping gear, and clothes from a shop on the same block of Broadway, in San Francisco, as The Condor, Carol Doda’s famous topless bar. The Condor and The North Face even shared a basement. Tompkins sold his shares well before it became a global brand (some reports say for as little as $10,000), but he went on to make his real fortune with Esprit. In the late 1980s, Esprit reached $1 billion in sales, although, contrary to rumor, Tompkins himself was not a billionaire.
Tompkins is survived by his daughters, Quincey Tompkins Imhoff and Summer Tompkins Walker; his brother, John; his mother, Faith; and his wife, Kris, who traveled to the hospital in Coyhaique.
When he and Chouinard and the merry band of climbers set off for Patagonia in 1968, they wanted to make a movie that would do for climbing what Endless Summer had achieved for surfing. The movie wasn't nearly as inviting as Endless Summer. Still, legend has it that while they waited out bad weather in an ice cave for 15 straight days, the two hatched plans for their respective companies. They completed their first ascent of Fitz Roy, and it fell to Tompkins to provide an account for the American Alpine Journal. In it, he recalled the elation of coming down out of the high-altitude frost and into austral summer below.
“It was Christmas day and what were we doing? Carrying 100-pound packs!” he wrote. “We looked back at ‘Old Fitz’, as we now called it, being on familiar and equal terms. We looked back, not as artists for we weren’t artists, just five tired California Fun Hogs finishing up the trip of trips, licking the dish with a smile from ear to ear, and mustaches full of ice cream saying one to the other—‘I believe we’ve done it. I believe we’ve done it.’”

旧帖 2015-12-12 04:40:02
Post #107

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 向环保斗士和 地球上最杰出的户外爱好者和自然保护主义者,汤老致最后敬礼。

他的精神永远和我们同在!

旧帖 2015-12-13 16:28:30
Post #108
Re: 向环保斗士汤老致最后敬礼“北脸”创始人身亡 ...

残醉 离线 残醉 失温症的可怕在于它的无形。

旧帖 2015-12-16 23:05:30
Post #109
Re: 向环保斗士汤老致最后敬礼“北脸”创始人身亡 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 Insiders Recount Efforts to Save North Face Founder
Gale force winds and a broken rudder forced kayakers to swim for their lives in frigid Chilean lake.

Doug Tompkins, who was killed last Tuesday, was an accomplished pilot, mountain climber, kayaker, skier, and organic farmer.

Photograph by James Q Martin 

By Mark Synnott, National Geographic
PUBLISHED December 13, 2015

This article was updated December 15th.

Five days after a kayaking accident claimed the life of Doug Tompkins—devoted conservationist and founder of the iconic outdoor equipment company The North Face—a fuller picture of the incident on General Carrera Lake in southern Chile is emerging. The members of his team and rescuers have provided new details about the events that led to Tompkins’ death.
Tompkins, 72, had been traveling with two of his closest friends: Yvon Chouinard, 77, founder of outdoor clothing maker Patagonia, and Rick Ridgeway, 66, a noted climber, filmmaker, writer, and Patagonia’s vice president of environmental initiatives. Though the three men, all pioneering figures in the outdoor industry, maintained extremely busy schedules, they always made a point of getting together for regular adventures in the landscapes that inspired them.
We realized we had 30 minutes, perhaps a little more, to survive.

Rick Ridgeway

The trio was joined by three other friends: Jib Ellison, founder of Blu Skye, a San Francisco-based consulting firm and a veteran river guide; Weston Boyles, a filmmaker and environmentalist from Colorado; and Laurence Alvarez-Roos, owner of Bio Bio Expeditions, a world-class kayaker and raft guide who was the captain of the US Men’s whitewater rafting team from 1993 to 1999.
The group had planned to kayak a 50-mile segment of General Carrera Lake (also called Lake Buenos Aires) from Puerto Sanchez to Puerto Ibanez, a five-day trip which would include exploratory hikes in some of the side valleys on the lake’s northern shore. General Carrera Lake, which straddles the border between Chile and Argentina, is 90 miles long and 714 square miles in area, making it the largest lake in Chile and the fourth-largest in Argentina. The lake is surrounded by the Andes Mountains and is famous for the unique cathedral-like marble rock formations that rise from its turquoise blue waters.
On Saturday December 5th , Philippe Reuter, the owner of the Terra Luna Lodge in Puerto Guadal, Chile, transported the six men and their gear to Puerto Sanchez, where they began their journey. Three days later, after paddling approximately half their route along the lake’s northern shore, the group broke camp and pushed off on a sunny day with barely any wind.

Long after he made a fortune in retailing, Tompkins, a lifelong mountain climber, continued to make first ascents, including Cerro Barros Arana in Patagonia in January 1998.

Photograph by Galen Rowell, Mountain Light, Alamy

Tompkins and Ridgeway shared a two-person sea kayak, as did Ellison and Chouinard. [Editor’s note: sea kayaks are longer, wider and more stable than river kayaks and generally have rudders operated with internal foot pedals.] Alvarez-Roos and Boyles rode in single kayaks.
Having lived in southern Chile for a quarter century, Tompkins knew that Patagonia routinely experiences some of the harshest and most unpredictable weather on the planet. Cape Horn, where the Atlantic and Pacific oceans collide in a maelstrom of raging currents, giant waves, and ferocious storms, lies just 600 miles to the south of General Lake Carrera. Located at 46 degrees south, the lake sits directly in the path of the “Roaring Forties”, a belt of westerly winds strengthened by the confluence of warm air from the equator and massive low pressure systems that lie just above Antarctica. Southern Chile is the first landmass the Roaring Forties hits after racing unimpeded across thousands of miles of the Southern Pacific Ocean.   
The Gulf of Penas lies more or less due west of General Carrera Lake. This large bay forms a huge funnel that catches and amplifies these winds as they blow into Chile’s west coast. Once they reach land, the winds rise and cool over the snow-capped Andes Mountains and then descend toward the lake, where at ground level wind bursts routinely reach gale force.
I was starting to drown. For a few minutes I gave in—just let it go—but then snapped back.

Rick Ridgeway

The men were paddling around a peninsula near the lake’s midsection around 10:30 am when the wind kicked up suddenly. “The lake is so big that it acts like an ocean,” said Reuter, who estimated that the wind was gusting as high as 50 miles per hour. “In 10 minutes, the lake can change from glass to hell,” he said. Under these violent winds, the waves built quickly, and within minutes the kayakers found themselves battling closely set, six-foot-high waves.
Douglas Tompkins Kayak Accident
The kayak accident took place roughly halfway into the journey along the north coast of General Carrera Lake in Chile.

Charles Preppernau, NG STAFF
SOURCE: Kelley McMillan, Mark Synnott

The men fought to make their way to shore, a few hundred yards away, but the northern coastline of the lake is rockbound with cliffs dropping straight to the water’s edge, offering few places to land a boat. Chouinard, Boyles, Ellison, and Alvarez-Roos managed to get around the peninsula into the lee of the wind. But the rudder on the kayak containing Tompkins and Ridgeway malfunctioned, and the men fell behind, struggling to maneuver their craft. Unable to steer, they were hit broadside by the huge waves and capsized approximately 600 feet from shore.
“As the current and wind pushed us toward the center of the lake, (Doug and I) had no way to know whether our companions in the other boats, who were ahead of us and out-of-sight, knew of our predicament,” Ridgeway wrote in an email. “We realized we had 30 minutes, perhaps a little more, to survive.” The pair tried four times to right their craft, but soon realized it was impossible in the huge waves. They had to make a difficult decision: stay with the boat, which was quickly being blown into the middle of the lake, or abandon their vessel and try to swim for shore in the 38-degree water. They chose the latter.
“It was tough,” writes Ridgeway, “and I realized against the current it was likely impossible to reach the point…I was slowing and even with a life jacket, I was pushed under by the larger waves. I could see Doug and assumed he was in the same situation. In addition to the hypothermia, I was starting to drown. For a few minutes I gave in—just let it go—but then snapped back.”
Meanwhile, the other four men, who had safely landed on a small beach, realized that their friends were in trouble. Ellison had a satellite phone, which he used to call Tompkins’ private pilot at 10:43 am, who relayed the information to Reuter. The Terra Luna Lodge has a private helicopter on site, and within minutes Reuter and the pilot were en route carrying a mountaineering rope, a harness, and a floating life ring.

Tompkins was kayaking with five friends on Chile’s General Carrera Lake, well known for its unpredictable weather.

Photograph by Nigel Hicks, National Geographic Creative

Boyles set off in a single kayak and reached Tompkins shortly before Alvarez-Roos and Ellison reached Ridgeway in their double kayak. Ridgeway and Boyles, both still conscious, grabbed rope loops attached to the sterns of the respective kayaks and hung on for dear life as their friends furiously paddled against the wind and waves toward shore.
“Doug was conscious with me for at least 20 to 30 mins fighting towards shore kicking etc, and I was paddling as hard as I could,” Boyles wrote in an email. “Because I was in a single kayak I was not able to overcome the power of the wind and current in the same way that Lorenzo and Jib were able to in the double.”
Eventually Tompkins lost the strength to hold on and Boyles lost his paddle while trying to hold onto his friend. “Doug then passed out and I held his head out of the water with my left arm and paddled with my right for hope it would help in some way to get us to shore eventually,” writes Boyles.
Now unable to steer and leaning over the side holding Tompkins, the kayak turned perpendicular to the waves, and Boyles came very close to capsizing a number of times. “My spray deck (the neoprene skirt that seals water out around the kayak seat) came open a few times in the process of trying to hold Doug out of the water. I managed to get (it) closed each time before filling with too much water,” writes Boyles. “By some miracle I did not flip.”

More on Doug Tompkins

How The North Face Founder Went From High School Dropout to Millionaire Conservationist
Friends Remember the Passionate Life of Doug Tompkins

Approximately 50-60 minutes after Boyles first reached Tompkins, the helicopter arrived on the tiny beach where Ellison and Alvarez-Roos had managed to land with Ridgeway. They signaled to the pilot that two people were still in the water and the helicopter quickly located Boyles, who was adrift and floating towards the middle of the lake. By this time Tompkins was fully unconscious and had been in the water for approximately an hour. “(Boyles) was holding him by his clothes, and I could see his skin. It was clear he had no neoprene diving suit,” said Reuter.
River and sea kayakers often wear wet or dry suits, which help preserve body temperature in the event they capsize in cold water. Canoe and Kayak Magazine reported that in a photo taken at the beginning of the trip, Tompkins is pictured wearing a Patagonia dry top. Since Boyles was reportedly holding Tompkins by his clothes, it’s possible that the garment was pulled up around his neck, exposing his skin to the cold water. It is unclear what type of clothing the other men were wearing or what Tompkins was wearing on his legs. What is known is that Tompkins was a very experienced kayaker, as were all the members of the group. Tompkins’ résumé includes first descents of 21 different rivers in Chile, and several of the other men had similar credentials.
The helicopter was not equipped with a winch, so Reuter threw a rope to Boyles, who was able to clip it to a strap on the deck of his kayak. The helicopter slowly dragged the kayak towards shore while Boyles struggled to keep Tompkins’ from drowning. After less than five minutes of being dragged, the kayak flipped. Reuter lowered a life ring to Boyle who put his arms through it and held Tompkins to his chest while the helicopter dragged him back first towards the rocky shore.
“(Boyles gave) a superhuman effort, placing his own life in jeopardy,” Ridgeway wrote.
The helicopter couldn’t land, but it was able to hover just above the ground, allowing Reuter to jump out and help Boyles, who was now hypothermic himself, to drag Tompkins ashore. All together Tompkins was in the water for nearly two hours. They put a harness on Tompkins and used the rope to lift him about 150 feet to a better spot, where they left him briefly to go drop off Boyles and pick up Alvarez-Roos and Ellison. The helicopter then returned to hover over the small beach, and the three men hauled Tompkins aboard and flew straight to Coyhaique Hospital, approximately 75 miles to the north.
Tompkins arrived at the hospital at approximately 1:30 pm, where his core body temperature was measured at 66 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 degrees below normal. Doctors managed to raise his temperature about five degrees but couldn’t improve his condition. He died at 6:30 pm that evening.
Ridgeway and Boyles huddled together in a sleeping bag on the beach until a Chilean military patrol arrived and transported the pair, along with Chouinard, to the port of Chile Chico on the lake’s south shore. None of three were seriously injured.
On Friday, December 11th, at the headquarters of Tompkins Conservation in the Chilean town of Puerto Varas, some 550 miles north of the accident site, dozens of friends and relatives gathered for a service to remember Doug Tompkins. In fluent Spanish his wife Kris spoke of her love for Doug, of their mutual commitment to protecting the Patagonian wilderness, and their intention to donate the land they have acquired over the last two and half decades—more than two million acres—to the Chilean and Argentinian people.
On Saturday, Tompkins’ body was loaded into a small private plane and flown south to Patagonia Park. As the plane neared Cerro San Valentin, the highest peak in Patagonia, the clouds broke and the pilot circled the snow-capped summit. Tompkins, himself a long-time pilot, had made this same flight countless times over the last 25 years.
“It was a spectacular last flight for Doug,” Ridgeway wrote.
That afternoon, Tompkins was laid to rest in a casket handmade of local Alerce wood, in the park’s cemetery.

旧帖 2015-12-16 23:58:25
Post #110
Re: 美国国家地理的事故报告--向环保斗士汤老致最 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 From the article -- addressing the crucial questions about how Tompkins was dressed (in 38 degreee water)...

“(Boyles) was holding him by his clothes, and I could see his skin. It was clear he had no neoprene diving suit,” said Reuter.

River and sea kayakers often wear neoprene
or dry suits, which help preserve body temperature in the event they
capsize in cold water. Canoe and Kayak Magazine
reported that in a photo taken at the beginning of the trip, Tompkins
is pictured wearing a Patagonia dry top. Since Boyles was reportedly
holding Tompkins by his clothes, it’s possible that the garment was
pulled up around his neck, exposing his skin to the cold water. It is
unclear what type of clothing the other men were wearing or what
Tompkins was wearing on his legs. What is known is that Tompkins was a
very experienced kayaker, as were all the members of the group.

旧帖 2015-12-17 00:45:40
Post #111

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 "Real shame that a group this experienced seemingly didn't dress or prepare for the water. No excuse."

旧帖 2015-12-19 01:12:20
Post #112

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA4ODgxNzQ2MQ==&mid=400824984&idx=2&sn=fa53f26b9a997d56c99d57598ea0e923&scene=2&srcid=1218oFcG6rHy0uMY3EOgIAcU&from=timeline&isappinstalled=0&uin=MTI4MjMwNzE2NA%3D%3D&key=ac89cba618d2d9767e125b8b2d9524ae1c6e37cb0fa1b2a0cd5ae5d296fb91ab8d188f9abc6a4c3f05422e840de6f5b7&devicetype=webwx&version=70000001&lang=zh_CN&pass_ticket=vTQTwGn7L%2FHjIklcI6ojHkhn3h4setRSSRwuozpSpMgHU7CPyo7ALQc%2BnVc3LzHU

魂归巴塔哥尼亚
2015-12-18 瑞克·里奇韦 攀登帝国和探险王朝

几天前,我们在智利瓦拉斯港镇的汤普金森基金会(Tompkins Conservation)为Doug举办了一场追思会,整个城镇,甚至整个阿根廷上上下下所有人几乎都到场了。Doug的妻子Kris首先致开场词,以西班牙文表达自己对Doug无垠的爱,以及他们俩人对野生动物的挚爱、对于环境保护与野生动物之间最深沉的承诺,当然还有他们不遗余力奉献给生态保育,并且捐赠智利和阿根廷共两百万英亩土地,以及人类种族间的爱。
他几尽全部的人生,都耕耘在这块土地上。即使是村庄里的稚儿,都知道这位笑口常开的爷爷。当许多人询问他,为什么要耗费所有的心力与财富,只为了这块未曾开发的山林。Tompkins告诉那些人:相信有许多人知道,越来越多生物与生态在地球消失且灭绝。因此,我们必须挽起袖子起而行动,这别无选择,否则终有一天我们只能与挚爱的星球说再见。 认真演讲的Kris十分具有威严与气力,是我们从未见过的样貌,她将自己满满的能量都灌注在每一字句之间;Kris每一次停顿、深呼吸,都将耗尽的力量重新注满,每一句都比先前来的更加沉稳与深刻。
 隔天我们和Doug的遗体一同搭乘私人飞机往南,到了科克伦附近的巴塔哥尼亚国家公园。此时云层逐渐散开,映入眼帘的是巴塔哥尼亚最高的山──圣瓦伦丁山(Cerro San Valentin)峰顶,就这样突破云层而出。Kris移动到座舱,而我们的挚友兼机师Rodrigo近距离地环山一圈,以此美景谨致Doug的最后一程。
巴塔哥尼亚国家公园原是畜养绵羊的大牧场,我们将Doug葬于园区内大楼与一些基础建设的位置,作为他的墓园。Doug的棺木以柏木为原料,由几位员工彻夜赶工而成,简单大方而无可挑剔。成打的工作人员与亲朋好友,轮流将Doug的棺木从他生前最爱的飞机Husky一路移到美丽的餐厅前,再继续沿着泥路穿过小屋到达墓地。
Kris再一次表现了她的气概,并由衷给了Doug和齐聚的智利团队最高致意。Doug下葬后,Kris郑重地献上鲜花;而后,我们一个接一个朝Doug的坟墓撒上一手尘土。 这场旅程从智利巴塔哥尼亚开始,为期四天都沿着遥远的Lago General Carrerra划船。我们一行共六人、两艘单人皮艇、两艘双人皮艇。我们六人的冒险资历加起来已超过百年,但我和Doug共乘的双人皮艇上的舵显然有问题。划船到了第三天,侧风渐起,使得旅途变得十分困难,再加上不甚灵光的舵,我和Doug的皮艇还是屡经意外、无可避免地翻覆了。
我们立刻意识到事态严重,当风浪将我们推往湖心时,其他艘皮艇都远在视线范围以外的地方,我们完全不知道同伴们是否知悉舟只翻覆的困境。此时我们理解自己只有约三十分钟可以生存,而水温大概是摄氏3到4度左右的低温。尽管我们想把皮艇导回正途,一再尝试却也一再失败,强大的风雨使得皮艇难以维持平衡,更别提船艇内淹满了水;最后决定尝试试着游泳离开,放弃留守翻覆的皮艇。那艘皮艇逐渐被推往湖水中间,所以留下来只是使自己陷入更难逃脱的困境。
 决定弃船的当下才意识到这有多么困难,我们得逆向对抗水流,也得对抗时间,而感觉象是永远不可能游出这道迷宫。我不但游得慢,即使穿了救生衣仍被大浪推着走;这时还看得见Doug,我猜他的情况和我相同 ── 体温低靡且水淹过顶。有几分钟我萌生放弃的念头,但还是将自己拉了回来;转瞬间看见同伴逆着约40节甚至超过50节的阵风(当天稍晚向气象局取得的确切数据),朝这儿划了过来将要拯救我们。
我们的同伴Jib EllisonLorenzo Alvarez将我捞上了双人艇,但他们逆风划向漩涡后的支点时,我只能挂在皮艇上,身体仍然处于水中。在浪与风的交织吹打下,完全没有任何施力点能让我坐上船,我必须抓得更紧──尽管觉得疲惫已经到极限了,这一切感觉永无尽头。我将注意力放在手上,奋力地抓着直到发现自己已然到了岩石上头。接着我失去意识,醒来时的记忆就是躺在火堆前面。 我的挚友Doug就没那么幸运了。我们另外一位同伴Weston Boyles(本来与Yvon Chouinard一同划艇,为了救Doug而只身返回)尽了全力要将Doug带到安全的地方,但却又敌不过强大的风雨浪潮。Doug拚尽了全力撑了半小时,但最后仍然失去意识。Weston奋力抵达水岸的路程上,冒着生命危险也要让Doug的头部保持在水面上。但最后着陆时,Doug已经失温,他离开我们了。
接下来的几天简直度日如年,活下来变成我们互相激励彼此的语言。确切来说,Douglas Rainsford Tompkins的存在感比以前还要强烈,而我们之间的力量也较以往更加强大了。他已将我们推向前方、提醒我们“没有任何细节是不重要的”、激励我们“承诺并且解决问题”、使我们了解首要的承诺就是美丽,因为爱会随着美丽来到,而唯有爱能让我们接近他坚不可摧的信念──对于美丽的信念、对于野生的信念。
随着手中最后一把尘土撒上Doug的坟墓,有位当地的美丽中年女子上前瞻仰,她站上围绕棺木的石墙,举起手直指向天,大声高喊着“Patagonia Sin Represas(巴塔哥尼亚无水坝)!”接着所有群众随之热血以相同方式回应:巴塔哥尼亚无水坝!直到生命的最终,这位环保主义者仍与政界人士对抗恐导致自然破坏的水坝建设工程。
他所点起的火炬仍然亮着,而火光依旧炽烈地燃烧。2017年,储备许久、面积达20万英亩的巴塔哥尼亚自然保护公园,将欢迎世界各地对大地有爱的人们到来。但可惜的是,我们将不再能看见他的笑容。

旧帖 2015-12-19 03:56:09
Post #113

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 分析北脸事故,其实那几个漂流老板都是不太及格的海洋舟领队,并不太理解海洋出事机理。2012的阿拉斯加漂流我进入高级漂流领队行列,与这个事故时间上有两年距离,2013年我们发生了一起也是唯一一起海洋恶性事故,这次事故对我影响非常大,也是从漂流领队转变为海洋领队一个不可缺的事故,只有经过这个事故,我才理解海洋事故和漂流事故的本质区别。北脸事故没有一个合格的海洋高级领队带队就是核心错误,最大错误。一个高级海洋领队必须强迫这种活动进行失温保护,但没有人出来担当,这也是一个LEADERSHIP 经典的失误,必须有个强领队来规定安全的法则。<br>

旧帖 2015-12-19 04:09:07
Post #114

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 中国皮划艇俱乐部负责人,要求自己的教练和领队,在安全理解事故机理,在一些不大不小的真正事故上锻炼成长,书本和一些救援技术远远不够,也别太本末倒置,对安全的全面控制预防才是首要议题。我之所以能到今天地步,50条探白水河,50首次海洋路线,总数700人以上(不是人次),与不同的水和海,不同的朋友的教导,几十次中小事故和之后思考,才有今天的底气和能力。

旧帖 2015-12-19 04:29:15
Post #115

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 皮划艇的实力不在乎能闯几级白水,横渡哪个海峡,更多是对危险的判断, 自救能力,还有团队救援能力, 最后避免大事故发生的能力。这是我经典的话。

旧帖 2016-03-16 03:24:58
Post #116

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04

LANCASTER - An 18-year-old sportsman died in an apparent drowning early Sunday morning when the canoe in which he was fishing with his uncle capsized on Fort Pond, police said.

A dive team recovered the body of Michael Thao, of 15 Sargent Ave., Leominster, from the water at 7:17 a.m., fire officials said. Neither the victim nor the uncle was wearing a life vest, police said.

Lancaster Police Detective Patrick Mortimer reported the death as a drowning. Local and state police investigators determined it to be accidental, according to a Lancaster police press release.

"It was very dark and the water was extremely cold," Detective Mortimer said.

Police said they were called at 5:08 a.m. to a home on Perry Road where a break-in had been reported in progress. They encountered a man who said he had broken in to use the phone to call 911.

The man, Mitchell Thao, 24, also of Leominster, told police he had been fishing with his nephew when the canoe capsized, and that he had swum to shore to call for help for his nephew, who was missing in the water.

A spokesman for the Worcester district attorney's office said Sunday night the state medical examiner's office accepted the case and will conduct further analysis to determine the cause and manner of death of Mr. Thao. The incident has been labeled an unattended death, according to spokesman Timothy J. Connolly.

The Lancaster Fire Department arrived at 5:20 a.m. at the pond just off Perry Road. Fire crews launched a boat to search the area of the pond where the canoe tipped, with a second boat from the Devens Fire Department. A regional dive team was also summoned.

The search boats located Mr. Thao's body at 6:15 a.m., and divers removed the body from the water an hour later, according to fire officials.

Dozens of cars lined Sargent Avenue in Leominster later Sunday evening as family and friends arrived to console the Thao household and to offer their condolences. Family members standing outside the home said they were too upset to comment. Some friends took to social media throughout the day to offer their condolences to the young man's family.

Michael Thao's Facebook page showed he had posted several profile photos of himself holding fish he had caught over the years.

旧帖 2016-03-16 15:05:48
Post #117
Re: 上星期,失温再杀华裔一名,去年美国国家地理 ...

舟游先生 离线 舟游先生 受教了,坚持旅程

----------------------------------------
深圳舟游列国独木舟活动中心——坐落于深圳东霞涌镇黄金海岸沙滩隔离。
服务项目:旅程教练、救生护航、私家艇寄存、冲淋储物柜…
@悄悄我或微信:13823174480

旧帖 2016-05-29 20:44:49
Post #118
上星期,失温再杀华裔一名,去年美国国家地理的事故报-海洋 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 本周三天经历了水温10度20度,空气15-25,1-2级到4-5级风的,非公开到公开海巨型震荡,最考验领队最关键决策非穿什么衣服保温莫属!

一句话说干衣解决失温问题就是皮划艇领队没有毕业的学生而已

还有天晴到下雨,大海的难度在于应变各种变化

清华工程本科毕业生,海洋舟和漂流中国首席安全推手, 荒野皮划艇探险高级摄影师, 华人皮划艇荒野探险首席领队
北美华人皮划艇探险协会会长(美国官方认可非盈利慈善组织)美国华人漂流&海洋旅行总组织者和设计师
微信:16176205369

旧帖 2016-05-29 20:50:56
Post #119
上星期,失温再杀华裔一名,去年美国国家地理的事故报-海洋 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 温带海洋领队最重要的决定是失温保护决定。10年了,还在这方面继续学习
不仅仅是安全,队员的接受能力和舒适度是决定里重要因素

清华工程本科毕业生,海洋舟和漂流中国首席安全推手, 荒野皮划艇探险高级摄影师, 华人皮划艇荒野探险首席领队
北美华人皮划艇探险协会会长(美国官方认可非盈利慈善组织)美国华人漂流&海洋旅行总组织者和设计师
微信:16176205369

旧帖 2016-06-03 08:05:35
Post #120
Re: 上星期,失温再杀华裔一名,去年美国国家地理 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 7年前我们附近的事故(也是我听说的不多海洋舟事故)。他的个性与国内新疆出大事的大侠类似

Wood, 59, of Contoocook, was last seen on Feb. 28 when he embarked on a day kayaking trip from Odiorne State Park in Rye to the Isles of Shoals. Wood reportedly contacted his wife and the Coast Guard before he paddled back from the Isles of Shoals.

Coast Guard crews earlier had come into contact with Wood, at roughly 1:30 p.m. that day when a concerned resident reported he could be in trouble.

Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor Petty Officer Matthew Merical said a crew responded, but made contact with Wood and determined he wasn't in distress and had nearly reached the Isles of Shoals and was planning to have lunch and make his return.

Merical said Wood was to contact the Coast Guard when he was leaving Smuttynose Island and when he reached shore at Odiorne, but they never heard from him and launched a search at roughly 6 p.m. on Friday. It was ongoing until Sunday morning and covered 400 square miles.

二月水温小于4度,要横渡8公里的跳岛。刚出发,就被岸上人报警,海警在下午1:30找到了他,居然已经上岛,他说他没事。然后吃完中饭他返航,就那么失踪了,过了二三天遗体发现。多少征兆多少逃命机会,就错过了。 这是风险系数死亡率超过60%的冒险

旧帖 2016-06-07 05:36:03
Post #121
Re: 7年前冬天横渡事故,去年美国国家地理的事故 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 中国(包括台湾地区)有史以来最严重的海洋皮划艇事故,Jed, 99% 最后死于失温,多快失温,这期间除了翻船还发生什么,我们不知道:

看此帖: 台湾皮划艇精彩和信息汇总 --- 纪念JED LIN 中国或台湾地区海洋皮划艇死亡事故(报告) 1 2

旧帖 2016-06-24 04:39:48
Post #122
Re: 终于悲剧发生在我们周围,磨房台湾皮划艇爱好 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 "kurt2: MOUNT DESERT ISLAND — The Coast Guard says two kayakers are dead and a
third is being treated for hypothermia after a capsize incident in
waters west of Mount Desert Island.

The Coast Guard received a report from a woman at around 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday saying her husband and two others went kayaking and did not
return at their planned time of 4:30 p.m.

At about 8 p.m., one of the searchers found a kayaker clinging to an
overturned kayak around 8 p.m. Authorities say she was hypothermic and
unable to speak. She was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center. Her
condition wasn’t immediately known.

A second kayaker was found unresponsive about 30 minutes later. He
was taken to Prospect Harbor and pronounced dead. The third was later
found unresponsive and declared dead.

The Coast Guard, Maine Marine Patrol, and several volunteers took part in the search.
"
—————————
"kurt2: 我们最近这连死四人,也是这几年最密集时候"
—————————
"kurt2: 都是我们美国东北区域的, 都是失温而死,反复告诉大家失温是多么恐怖和被人瞧不起的安全准备,不是说一定发生在每个时候,在特定时间和季节每个地方都会出事,有海南同学说西沙也有机会失温, 一概否定
失温在皮划艇届就是犯罪"
—————————
"kurt2: 包括我们美国东北这么容易出事的地方,我跟一些老队员打了8年的失温战争,他们轻视失温一次一次逼得我发脾气,一次又一次像小孩训斥,只到去年情况才好转。轻视失温就是中国皮划艇爱好者最大敌人(皮划艇顾客主要是不穿救生衣是头号事故原因)"
—————————

旧帖 2016-06-24 05:16:57
Post #123
Re: 本周美国东北海洋舟再杀四人-海洋静水皮划艇 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 我们下周要去的地方上个月渔民翻船又失温死2,这是在美国,一个非常重视安全和人命的国家,连死那么多之有一个启示,海洋失温的危险远远比人想象严重

旧帖 2016-06-24 05:26:35
Post #124
Re: 本周美国东北海洋舟再杀四人-海洋静水皮划艇 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 一个月死六位,都是我们熟悉的水域,加上不知道的消息,可能这个数在北美翻倍。海洋90%最后都死于失温,不争的事实。

不管横渡再牛,没有失温准备的横渡,有本事在横渡给大家试一试如果上不了船,能活多久,当然离岸近的海洋活动和南方的夏天海洋,总体压力很小,但判断什么时候危险,空气高15度以上如何过热下做失温准备,比作个翻滚难度大多了, 更容易出问题。

旧帖 2016-06-24 05:45:43
Post #125
Re: 本周美国东北海洋舟再杀四人一个月杀六人以上 ...

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 其实我有时也会让全队准备不够, 没有人能做到失温判断百分之百准确, 尤其是空气很热时,穿太多也是安全另一个问题。可是过去一些年,一些老队员还要浪费我时间去监督他们,可想而知,他们没有能力来纠正我决定的错误,这也是海洋安全一个漏斗,失温看上去简单,但是之复杂,和人的素养,天气,心里息息相关, 是海洋安全里最难完美解决的问题。问题是动态,变化地。

旧帖 2016-06-24 05:52:54
Post #126

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 ANCHORAGE, Alaska –  Authorities say a boat that capsized in Alaska's Glacier Bay National Park has claimed the lives of a father and son.
Four others on the 21-foot aluminum boat were rescued Monday. They include one person who suffered severe hypothermia and was flown to a hospital in Juneau.
Park official Tom VandenBerg identified the men who died as Larry Roger McWilliams, 75, and Gary Roger McWilliams, 48. He says the elder McWilliams carried an Oregon driver's license, and the younger man was from California. Their hometowns were not immediately available.
The cause of the capsizing was a mystery. The weather was clear and calm in the area where the boat was fishing.

旧帖 2016-06-24 05:58:12
Post #127

kurtyang04 离线 kurtyang04 注意最后这个词,当时无风无浪时翻船,人不是神,再牛的人,也有千分之几概率在意想不到的地方翻船,要是不是好地方,没有失温准备,就是一条命,上帝不歧视是否是大侠,失温后果谁都无力挽救。

» 论坛 » 安全回家 » 防冻清单—--海洋静水皮划艇安全系列之一第一杀手-失温 36

邀请xuliang1215参加此活动